Language Resident Name: Aleksandra Bystrova
Class theme/topics discussed: Russian Cuisine
Goal of the class:
- Talk about most famous Russian meals
- Learn vocabulary about cooking
- Prepare for a cooking class
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up (5 mins)
I ask my students to discuss the following questions in pairs:
1) Which traditional Russian meals do you know?
2) Have you ever tried Russian cuisine? What was your experience like?
3) Have you ever been to a Russian restaurant?
2. Activity 1. Do you know this meal? (10 minutes)
I show my students pictures of the most famous meals and ask them to guess names or ingredients.
3. Activity 2. Cooking Vocabulary (10 mins)
I show my students a PowerPoint slide with cooking vocabulary and ask if they know those words. I prepared a handout for them with those words.
4. Activity 3. Game: Describe an action (10 mins).
After that, I ask my students to come in front of the class and show a cooking action without using words. Other students should guess what they are showing. Then they change.
5. Activity 4 (20 mins)
I divide my students into two groups and ask them to choose one meal that is easy to cook. They should write a recipe on a board using the vocabulary they learnt. Then they present their recipe and we vote for the meal that the majority would like to try. Next class we will cook the meal using their recipe.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The class went well. Food is one of the most favorite topics of my students since they had been asking me to talk about Russian cuisine or cook something from the very beginning of the semester. This class is good for practicing the vocabulary dedicated to food and cooking. It also includes the cultural element.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
I would leave it as it is. This class was created with the help of the Spanish language resident Natalia Cano. You can include an activity, where students should describe a picture to practice food and cooking vocabulary.