Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Blanca Barranco Lafuente
Day and Date: 2nd December
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Spanish Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Shopping
Goal of the class:
- To exchange information about shopping preferences
- To learn how to bargain in flea markets
- To find the best present for an assigned student
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up: Students answer some questions about shopping: how often they shop, what is the best / most useless thing they have ever bought, etc.
- Activity 1: Brainstorming about the different possibilities of shopping and sharing preferences about where to shop. This will lead to the introduction of special shopping places such as flea markets. Students watch a video of the most famous flea market of Spain and answer some comprehension questions (what can be bought there, when it takes place, etc.).
- Activity 2: One of the main things that happens when buying at this flea market is bargaining. Therefore, students practice bargaining with other students to get the best prices for different products. Then they share different advices and techniques for bargaining.
- Activity 3: In pairs, students have to “go to this flea market” and find the best present for other randomly assigned students in the class. They will have to agree on what the best presents are according to their personalities.
- Extra final activity: Discussing extra topics about shopping preferences (local vs. shopping malls, second hand vs. new, branded clothing, etc.)
- Extra final activity (2): What would you buy if you won the lottery? Sharing ideas. Explaining how the Christmas lottery works in Spain, since it is a very important event.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- PowerPoint Presentation
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
- They were really into the bargaining part, so the role-play worked pretty well.
- Some of the questions of the warm-up were not suitable for all students because they did not go shopping that often, but they were still able to share their ideas and preferences, which was one of the goals of the lesson.