Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Blanca Barranco Lafuente
- Credit: José Gómez
Day and Date: 20th February
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Spanish Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Advertisements
Goal of the class:
- To understand cultural differences through advertisements
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up: Students answer some questions about publicity (e.g. Which was your favorite advertisement of the Super Bowl? Where is publicity more effective?)
- Activity 1: Students watch a controversial US commercial and comment on it. They will then compare it with Spanish commercials.
- Activity 2: Students get a handout with different slogans and they have to guess which product the slogans are selling. Then they watch the real advertisements.
- Activity 3: Students speak about the importance of adapting the different advertisements according to the target culture. In small groups, they analyze the existing differences in the same Coca-Cola spot for Spain, Mexico, Argentina and Peru.
- Extra final activity: Debating the advantages and disadvantages of personalized advertisements.
- Extra final activity (2): Speaking about subliminal publicity. Testing students by placing blue pictures of idioms with eyes over Oldenborg and asking them to choose a part of the body and a color to see if these subliminal posters had some effect on their choice.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Handout with slogans
- Posters for the subliminal publicity activity
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The whole class worked very well. They talked a lot and were engaged all in the activities. They specially liked the last activity of the subliminal test, since they were not able to notice the signs around them and were very surprised.Conv_Advertisements