Language resident: Natalia Cano
Class theme/topic discussed: Music
Goal of the class: The students get to know the music their classmates like and they discover new songs in Spanish. They also (if they didn’t know before) get to know who Rosalia is.
Warm up: Interview your partner
- When do you listen to music?
- What type of music do you like?
- Do you always listen to the same type of music?
- Do you play an instrument? Which one? Which one would you like to play?
- If you had a band, what type of music would you play?
- What characteristics of an artist do you like?
- Do you think music represents a country’s society?
- Do you like artists that do social criticism?
- Do you know Spanish speaker artists?
They students write down in the blackboard some information about the Spanish speaker artists they like.
- Music genre
- Favorite song
Activity 2: La voz
First I showed them a video of La voz Spain and then they have to be the new judges. Students are asked to turn around from the projector. I play some songs and they write down their new ‘’playlists’’ on the blackboard.
Activity 3: Rosalia and cultural appropriation
- Who is Rosalia?
- Look her up on Instagram?
- What do you think about her when you see her photos?
We played the video of Malamente and they identify all the typical Spanish cultural things in the video.
We played a little bit of this video because I wanted them to know who are the coaches in La Voz Spain:
This songs in YouTube:
- Paquita la del barrio – rata de dos patas
- Canelita: Juanito Juan
- Manuel Carrasco: no dejes de soñar
- Rels B: Reina de Pikas
- Natos, Waor, Recycled J: sudores frios
- Bad Bunny y Sech: Ignorantes
- C.Tangana: Paris
- Manolo Garcia: pajaros de barro
- Maná: rayando el sol
- La Oreja de Van Gogh – Muñeca De Trapo
- Juanes: A Dios le pido
- El sueño de Morfeo: esta soy yo
What worked well? What did not work?
I think this class went well. The students enjoyed discovering new songs in Spanish and they also had the opportunity to talk about the kind of music they like and share this information with their classmates. I also think it was a good idea to do this class after the Spanish traditions one, so they already were able to identify the cultural examples in Malamente’s video.