Language Resident/Assistant Name: Feiya Suo
Day and Date: 2021.08.29
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Self-introduction
Goal of the class:
1.Let the students and I get to know each other
2.Set the goals for the semester
3.Create a good atmosphere among the students
How did you structure the class?
- Greetings and some chitchats with students;
2. Mini presentation about myself (7 min):
- 开学第一天，今天你做了多少次自我介绍呢？How many self-introductions have you done during the first day of class?
- About me:
① Basics ② Some fun fact about me ③ My summer vacation in Britain
1.Ice-breaker (13 min)
1) Brainstorm different aspects about themselves, i.e. hometown, major/minor and hobbies etc.
2) Draw a picture briefly about yourself & introduce yourself to your partner.
- Group work: Listen & Draw (25 min)
- Think about your summer break: Where did you go? What did you do? Etc.
- Tell them to your partner;
- Your partner draws them down on the worksheet;
- Introduce your partner & his/her summer break to the whole class.
- Regulations & Conversation Class Agreement (8 min)
Conversation Class requirements & regulations;
Sign Conversation Class Agreement.
- A survey (7 min)
Write down your expectations and goals for this semester: what would you like to gain from the class? What topic are you interest in?
1)Brief introduction of the class and my requirements (and why) about the lesson(Daily proformance & LT requirements); (3 min) I used some English here in this section.
2)Agreement form signing and returning. (3 min)
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Everything went as planned and turned out to be really well. I had 7 students in this group, with 2 repeating students and 5 new students whom I’ve already met in last year’s language tables. We got acquainted very fast, and I had a really good feeling about this class. The vibe was great! 3 students actually had a very good level of mandarin. We had a conversation them after class, but they told me 1) they are friends and really want to take the class together; 2) they are seniors and their time schedule won’t allow them to take ADV class on Tuesday and Thursday. During the class they did show patience and helped the other students quite a lot, especially in group work since I assigned them in pairs with real INT level students together, I think let them study should be OK. One thing that I could do better is time arrangement. 2 students didn’t finish the survey so I let them hand the survey to me next class.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
Shorten the Group work: Listen & Draw part a bit and give students a bit more time on the survey, or tell them it’s ok to answer in English for this time since it’s a lot harder to answer everything in Chinese.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.