Language Resident/Assistant Name: Feiya Suo
Day and Date: 2021.08.30
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Self-introduction
Goal of the class:
1.Let the students and I get to know each other
2.Set the goals for the semester
3.Create a good atmosphere among the students
How did you structure the class?
- Greetings and some chitchats with students;
2. Mini presentation about myself (7 min):
- 开学第一天，今天你做了多少次自我介绍呢？How many self-introductions have you done during the first day of class?
- About me:
① Basics ② Some fun fact about me ③ My summer vacation in Britain
1.Ice-breaker (13 min)
1) Brainstorm different aspects about themselves, i.e. hometown, major/minor and hobbies etc.
2) Draw a picture briefly about yourself & introduce yourself to your partner.
- Group work: Listen & Draw (25 min)
- Think about your summer break: Where did you go? What did you do? Etc.
- Tell them to your partner;
- Your partner draws them down on the worksheet;
- Introduce your partner & his/her summer break to the whole class.
- Regulations & Conversation Class Agreement (8 min)
Conversation Class requirements & regulations;
Sign Conversation Class Agreement.
- A survey (7 min)
Write down your expectations and goals for this semester: what would you like to gain from the class? What topic are you interest in?
1)Brief introduction of the class and my requirements (and why) about the lesson(Daily proformance & LT requirements); (3 min) I used some English here in this section.
2)Agreement form signing and returning. (3 min)
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
I had 4 students in the class yet ALL of them are very introvert kind of person. So I had to work very hard on encouraging them to speak and letting them feel safe and confident talking to each other. However, when it came to discussion, their voices volume would ALWAYS get lower and lower and ended up with whispering to each other. I told them it’s okay to express themselves out loud, and I joined for several conversations as well. But probably since it’s the first class, everyone was a bit shy. I hope it will get better in the future.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
More team work and let students to get to know each other better. But I understand that it will take time.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.