Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name:
Day and Date:
Thursday, 04/06/2021 and Thursday, 04/08/2021
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Class theme/topics discussed:
Untitled Goose Game
Goal of the class:
To play Untitled Goose Game together, practice imperatives, and have fun.
How did you structure the class?
- Greetings, announcements, general questions.
- In advance, create a vocabulary list with necessary words (especially verbs). Work on this list together with your students and ask them to make imperative forms of verbs: run! swim! etc. It’s also helpful to talk about directions: go left, jump on, etc.
- Open the Untitled Goose Game on your computer and share the screen. Most likely, you can change the settings and choose your target language as the language of the game.
- Explain the rules. You’ll be the one playing, but your student will have to tell you what to do.
- Show them the “To-Do List” for the first episode. Read it together. You can also play it together for a few minutes to give students an idea of how the game works.
- Divide students into groups. In the break-out rooms, each group has to come up with instructions for you to complete one of the tasks from the “To-Do List.” For example, one group can think about hiding the food, while the second group has to steal the key. They can brainstorm for 5 minutes or so.
- Once everyone has a strategy, open the game again. Each group has 3-4 minutes. They have to guide you and tell you what to do to complete the task: “Run up, hide in the grass, wait until the farmer can’t see you, grab the carrot,” etc.
- Have fun! 🙂
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Untitled Goose Game, Zoom
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The class worked out great, we had a lot of fun! I did two classes on this game because it takes time to work on vocabulary, explain the rules, etc. Also, make sure you know how to play this game first because it’s not always intuitive.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
I would leave it as it is.