Language Resident: Marie Segura
Class theme/topic discussed: Advertising
Goal of the class: learning vocabulary about advertisement, learning more about French culture and especially the advertisement culture.
ACTIVITY 1 – Slogans
- Show the students a list of French slogans and a list of brands and ask the students to pair them up.
- What are the characteristics of a good slogan? (repetitions, rhymes…)
- In pairs, ask the students to come up with the best slogan to sell a simple object (something they use everyday).
ACTIVITY 2 – Discussing (French) commercials
- Brainstorming: what aspects do publicists rely on to sell specific types of products? (eg for coffee: seduction, luxury…)
- Show the students a French ad and ask them to guess what it is trying to sell + what aspects are emphasized
- Reflection: show them an infamous car ad that was taken down and ask them what they understand + what they think about it. What is it trying to sell? Who is the target audience? Is it efficient?
ACTIVITY 3 – Create your own commercial
- In pairs: give each group a picture of an impossible object. Ask the students to write the scenario of an ad promoting it: what is the target audience of the ad? where does it take place? Who are the characters? Is there music? What happens?
- Present your ad to the rest of the class.
Powerpoint, pictures of impossible objects