Language Resident: Katherine Pérez Gutiérrez
Class theme/topic discussed : Abortion Laws in Latin America
Goal of the class
- Discuss “Marea Verde”, the pro-choice movement born in Argentina
- Activity 1 Green/Blue Scarves: I show students pictures of people of protestors wearing green (pro-choice) and blue scarves (pro-choice). Have you seen these pictures before? What do these people stand for?.
- Activity 2 Marea Verde: Students hear a short presentation to contextualise the pro-choice movement “Marea Verde”, which started in 2018 in Argentina.
- Activity 3: What do you know about reproductive rights policies in the US? Students discuss in pairs and then volunteers report in the main room
- Activity 4: In small groups students choose 2 different countries (a Spanish speaking country & another one) an do a small research on reproductive rights public policy from those 2 countries. What to these countries’ policies have in common? Are there any differences?
- Activity 5 75 Opiniones: Students are given a list of 5 questiones used by a Peruvian Organization to gather opinions about abortion within the country. They discuss how appropriate they think these questions are to address the issue and whether they would use a different set of questions.
- Resolutions sheet
- Activity 5 Article: https://www.corteidh.or.cr/tablas/28123.pdf
Reflection: What worked/did not work? How can it be improved?
- ADV: The class worked great! I was worried about how students would feel talking about more controversial topics, but they were very talkative and seemed to enjoy the class a lot. For activity 3 almost all groups chose different countries so it was very interesting comparing that many policies.
- INT: It was a good class too, we weren’t able to have the same dynamic, thought-provoking discussion as with the advanced group but students still enjoyed it.
- ** I asked both classes in advanced if whether they were interested talking about this topic or not, and how did they feel about it.