Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident/Assistant Name:
Ruoyu (Agnes) Fu
Day and Date:
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Chinese Intermediate level
Class theme/topics discussed:
Goal of the class:
- By the end of this class, students will be able to talk about likes and dislikes;
How did you structure the class? (please see more details below on Page 3 and 4)
- Take attendance and greet the students
- Warm-up: your story with <Harry Potter>.
- Presentation: introduction to Harry Potter
- Discussion: who is Harry Potter.
- Wrap-up: are you going to watch the full movie (again)?
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- I used PowerPoint to create the slides (7 in total)
- I looked up pictures of the movie on Baidu image.
- I used 笔记本 to create notes (see Appendix A)
- I used Bilibili.com to play the video clips.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
What worked well:
- Students were passionate about this topic. Four out of five students had read the book and watched the movies for multiple times (note: in order to implement this lesson plan, a survey should be conducted beforehand).
- Students were able to follow the video. It could have been somewhat challenging since no English subtitles or audio were available. But because of their high level of familiarity with most plots, they were able to complete various types of activities afterwards.
What did not work:
- Students got very excited about the movies and books themselves, they were not satisfied with the length of the video— they wanted to watch more. Due to the time limitation; however; it was not feasible due to time constraints.
- There are plenty of fictious words and phrases in <Harry Potter>, students’ speeches got interrupted when they encountered them.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
- There is another way to conduct activities based on this topic. If everyone in class is familiar with this movie and books, teachers can directly ask them to introduce it to the class instead of playing introduction videos first.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
|Presentation Warm-up (5 mins)
|-Take attendance -Ask each student when and where they watched <Harry Potter> for their first time.
|– Connect their devices – Greet the instructor – Answer questions
|Presentation (10 mins)
|-Who is J.K.Rowling? -Show a picture of her -Ask students the questions: 关于这位作家，你了解多少？ -你第一次看这本是在什么时候？ -你还记得是谁送你的第一本书给你的吗？ -你第一次看这部电影是在什么时候？ -你还记得是和谁一起看的吗?
|Guided & Communicative practice (25 mins)
|-Show a picture of Harry Potter -Ask a volunteer to give brief introduction of Harry based on what is shown on the slide -Play Video clip 1 -Ask students to answer the questions: 在爸爸妈妈去世以后，哈利生活在谁的家里？ 他的童年幸福快乐吗？为什么？ -Show them a picture of Harry with the word “muggle” -Play video clip 2 -Ask students to answer the questions: 麻瓜是什么意思？ 哈利为什么在魔法世界受到明星般的待遇？ 罗恩是一个怎样的人？ 赫敏是一个怎样的人？ 你怎么评价哈利，罗恩，和赫敏的友情？ -Show them a picture of the sorting hat and Harry -Show them pictures of four houses and their mottos -Play video clip 3 -Ask students to answer questions: 哈利为什么不希望去斯莱特林？ 如果你戴上分院帽，你希望被分到哪一个学院？ 在所有的课程中，你最希望学到哪一门？ -Ask the student who has not read the book or watched to movie to share her/his thoughts on those plots
|-Give a speech based on the information -Answer questions -Answer questions -Answer questions
|Business (15 mins)
|-Ask students to open their teacher evaluation surveys -Send them to the breakout room -Ask them to spend 20 minutes on the survey
|-Complete their surveys
Harry Potter 哈利波特
Ron Weasley 罗恩魏斯莱特
Hermione Granger 赫敏格兰杰
Lord Voldemort 伏地魔
Sorting hat 分院帽
Magic wand 魔杖