Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident/Assistant Name:
Ruoyu (Agnes) Fu
Day and Date:
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Chinese Advanced level
Class theme/topics discussed:
Delicious Chinese food
Goal of the class:
- By the end of this class, students will be able to understand the concept “八大菜系” in Chinese.
- By the end of this class, students will be able to compare the similarities and differences among Lu, Chuang, and Yue.
- By the end of this class, students will be able to understand talk about their likes and dislikes about Lu, Chuang, and Yue.
- By the end of this class, students will be able to build conversations on food-related topics such as personal preferences (express likes and dislikes).
- By the end of this class, students will be able to identify facts and hoaxes.
How did you structure the class?
- Take attendance and greet the students 4:18
- Presentation: main cuisines and regions 4:25
- Discussion: have you had any? 4: 35
- Presentation: features and cooking techniques of Lu, Chuan, and Yue. 4:38
- Discussion: Which one is your favorite? 4: 43
- https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV12x411871Z?from=search&seid=3191024875584487 77 4: 45
- Game: facts or hoaxes? 5:15
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- I used PowerPoint to create the slides (13 in total)
- I used 笔记本 to create notes
- I used google drive to share handouts.
- I used Bilibili to play video clips.
What worked well in this class? What did not work? What worked well:
- They were very interested in food-related topics and activities.
- They had sufficient prior knowledge about Chinese food.
- More supporting details for the facts than yesterday.
What did not work:
- No one had any experiences with 麻辣。
- They did not had much to share about East Asian food.
- 素食主义者，过敏，pronunciation with 鱼* you, 昆虫 and 乌龟。
- Had trouble explaining #6.
- E did not talk much in the breakout room.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
1. Some brief introduction of Korean and Japanese food. 2. Discourage over self-corrections.
Myth or fact?
1. 美國人最喜歡很甜的中國菜，比如說宮 gōng 保 bǎo 雞 jī 丁 dīng Kung Pao chicken/美国人最喜欢很甜的中国菜，比如说宫保鸡丁。
2. 大多數 shù the majority of 外國人不喜歡吃辣/大多数外国人不喜欢吃辣。
3. 外國人不喜歡嘴巴麻 má numbness 的感覺/很多外国人不喜欢嘴巴麻的感觉。 4. 外國人不喜歡帶骨 gǔ 頭 tou bone 的菜/外国人不喜欢带骨头的菜。
5. 外國人不喜歡動物內 nèi 臟 zàng internal organs /外国人不喜欢动物内脏。
6. 外國人不喜歡昆 kūn 蟲 chóng insect 和烏 wū 龜 guī turtle /外国人不喜欢昆虫和乌 龟。
8. 很多的美國人是素 sù 食 shí 主 zhǔ 義 yì 者 zhě vegetarian /很多美国人是素食主义 者。
9. 很多外國人對花生和麵 miàn 筋 jīn gluten 過 guò 敏 mǐn be allergic to /很多外国人 对花生和面筋过敏。
10. 美國人認為味 wèi 精 jīng MSG 不健康，因為他們吃味精會頭 tóu 痛 tòng headache /美国人认为味精不健康，因为他们吃味精会头痛。