Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Blanca Barranco Lafuente
Day and Date: 2nd March
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Spanish Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Sports (1)
Goal of the class:
- To review and use vocabulary related to sports
- To exchange information about sport interests
- To design a new sport and rules for it
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up: Students answer some general questions about sport (how often they practice it, why they practice sport, etc.).
- Activity 1: Students play a memory game about sports to review some vocabulary and learn new words. They will have to match the name of the sport with one rule about that sport.
- Activity 2: I show them some pictures of myself when I was a child and used to play basketball on roller skates. I explain some basic rules of the sport.
- Activity 3: Students explain to a class mate the rules of their favorite sport.
- Activity 4: Students invent a sport mixing up two different sports and create some basic rules.
- Activity 5: Students present their sport to the rest of the class. First they will not speak and will only mimic the sport and the rest will have to guess what it consists on. Then they will explain which rules they made up.
- Extra final activity: Watching some of the weirdest sports ever invented and commenting on them.
- Extra final activity (2): Speaking about extreme sports.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Memory game cards
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
- Students enjoyed the mimic activity and inventing a new sport. I think the memory game was also a good warm-up activity.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
- I like the class as it is, however whether this class is successful or not will also depend a lot on students’ interests, so it is important to know if they enjoy practicing sports.