Language Resident: Katherine Pérez Gutiérrez
Class theme/topic discussed: End of term report
Goal of the class:
- To look back on the year and prepare some goals for the upcoming year.
- To practice past tenses, conditional
- To exchange information about the future to be able to hypothesize
- Warm-up: Students discuss whether they know or the meaning of the following words: Goals, balance, accomplishments, to achieve a goal, to be thankful.
- Activity 1: Students discuss the following questions: What goals people usually propose for themselves? Can you think of 2 or 3 goals related to these areas of life? (Health, work, money, family, couples, studies, friendship.
- Activity 2: Year’s balance/ recap: in pairs students complete each other’s chart of memorable things that happened to them during whatever period of time you are talking about. Then they share. (In case the conversation his going to slowly, use the questions in the annex)
- Activity 3: (cred. Marie Segura & Mikiko Saigo) New Year’s Resolutions: (This activity takes place during a family dinner/dinner with friends) Students are separated in groups. In turn, they roll the dice and discover their new year’s resolution. Then, they have to convince skeptical friends/family that they are actually going to keep their resolution this year and to explain why it is so important to them and how are you going to do it.
- Activity 4: Students become fortune tellers and predict each other’s future with the help of the story cubes and some images. They will make predictions about health, success in work and education, and love.
- Resolutions sheet
Reflection: What worked/did not work? How can it be improved?
- As the last class of the semester, it worked pretty well. For activity 2, if it’s an online class, it’s better to have the questions in hand.
- Activity 1 Table:
|Ej.: comer más sano|
- Activity 2 Chart:
Cosas divertidas que hice: …
Algo nuevo que aprendí: …
Gente interesante que conocí: …
Lugares que visité: …
Algo que nunca olvidaré: …
Algo de lo que estoy orgulloso/a: …
- Extra questions for Activity 2:
¿Cuáles han sido los momentos más destacados?
¿Qué cosas nuevas has probado durante este año?
¿Cuáles han sido tus momentos más felices?
¿Qué has aprendido durante este año?
¿Cuál ha sido tu mayor éxito personal? ¿Y cuál tu mayor éxito profesional?
¿Cuál ha sido el mayor aprendizaje sobre ti mismo?
¿Qué harías de forma diferente?
¿Qué quieres mantener durante el próximo año? ¿Qué te gustaría cambiar en el año nuevo?
- Resolutions sheet