Language Resident: Katherine Pérez Gutiérrez
Class theme/topic discussed : Routines
Goal of the class
- Get students to know each other
- Talk about daily life
- Warm-up Routines: I show students how a day in my life looks like. To have them add vocabulary I ask them if they days look very different from mine (Do you do anything else? Workout, meditate, cook, play music, watch a show). In groups, they start talking about their daily routines and answer some questions: What do they have in common? How are they different? Is there anything you would like to start doing? Is there anything you would like to stop doing?
- Activity 1 Habits: How would you describe a habit? Which ones are good? Which ones are bad? In breakout rooms students brainstorm different vocabulary.
- Activity 2 Addictions: We start talking about addictions. What are they? Do they think they are similar to bad habits? Are you addicted to something? What is this generation’s addiction?
- Activity 3 Internet addiction questionnaire (cred. Tamara Olivos): In pairs they complete a questionnaire that will determine how addicted they are to the internet. We share the results with the entire class.
- Activity 4: Where you using internet in a different way before COVID-19? How so? Do you like it better now or before? How can you balance “work online” time vs “social life online” time?
- Activity 5: As a class, we discuss ways in which you can change your bad habits/addictions.
- Follow-up: In groups they do a brief debate about the drinking age, 18 or 21?
- Addictions video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTrsNivqYN4
- Bad habits article: https://rpp.pe/campanas/contenido-patrocinado/pasos-para-acabar-con-un-mal-habito-noticia-1071812
- Internet addiction questionnaire
Reflection: What worked/did not work? How can it be improved?
- The class worked well, we worked up to activity 4 but did not have enough time to share the questionnaire’s results. For this activity I put everyone in the breakout room and, although I went through all the questions to check vocabulary before, it was hard to check on students. It would be better if the questionnaire is not as long, or has easier vocabulary.