Intermediate Conversation Class Lesson Summary week 2
Language Resident Name: Eloise Raoul
Day and Date: 01/29/2019
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Introduction to French cinema Part I: Culture
Goal of the class: To help students be familiar with the vocabulary of the cinema in France and the culture related to it.
How did you structure the class?
1) 5 minutes – warm up – By groups of two they answer basic questions about cinema and French films (see ppt.)
2) 10 minutes – cultural input: I give them explanations on what is iconic in term of French cinema, we talk about the Nouvelle Vague movement and so on.
3) 15 minutes video comprehension: Funnypresentation about Godard. I ask them to listen first, then to explain to the person next to them who Godard is, with the help of the notes on the Powerpoint they have to remember biographic elements. Then they switch so everyone gets to talk about this director.
4) 10 minutes – We watch trailers of the movies nominated this year for the Césars, we talk about the importance of trailers for them in general, they tell which movie they preferred according to their trailers.
5) 20 Minutes – Time’s Up Game about cinema. 1rst Round: they can make other people guess their secret celebrity with all the words they want. 2nd Round: only 1 word. 3 round: mimes.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
-Powerpoint presentation with pictures
-Paper cards for the Time’s Up
-Printed questions about trailers.
-Arte video about Godard.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
-They really enjoyed the Time’s Up activity.