Language Resident Name: Tilman Viëtor
Day and Date: Wednesday, 09/04/19
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): German Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Introduction (personal & organizational)
Goal of the class: The students and I get to know each other; they understand what the class will be like. Also, they get to talk about themselves, practice asking questions and describing the past.
How did you structure the class?
- Introducing myself (in German), with a stick figure representing myself and answers to questions about myself around it. The students guess the questions to the answers.
- Organizational introduction (class agreement, attendance sheet, syllabus (task for second lesson: look over the syllabus, think about what topics may interest you)
- Students do the self-introduction like I did in step 1
- What did you do this summer?
In pairs: One person explains, the other person draws a picture of the holidays. Afterwards, the person who drew shows the picture to the other pair and explains their partner’s holidays using the picture.
- Speeddating: Students pair up, and they get 5 Minutes to find 4 things they have in common. Then they switch partners and repeat.
Difficult decisions: I ask “either or” questions and the students position themselves on one or the other side of the room, according to their opinion. Then they explain their decisions.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
White Board, pens
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Everything went well