Language Resident Name: Tilman Viëtor
Day and Date: Thursday, 09/26/2019
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): German, Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: What can we do as individuals to combat climate change?
Goal of the class: Students learn the vocabulary and grammar needed to discuss measures that individuals can take to combat climate change. They will be able to say whether they are feasible or not and whether they would take them or not and give reasons for their decisions.
How did you structure the class?
- They write down 3 questions they want to ask another student. Then they pair up.
- Focused free writing (2-5 min.) with a few words/phrases having to do with climate change as inspiration.
- Discuss what they have written with their partner.
- We watch a video with 5 tips for a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. After the video we quickly discuss what they think was important and whether they learned something new.
- Students write all their ideas down about what people can do individually to fight climate change.
- I give input, explaining what I do to contribute to the struggle (Already modeling the grammar they will use later)
- I explain what “containern” and “bändern” is. Controversial topics as food for thought for the discussion.
- I introduce all the phrases and words they can use to discuss actions with their peers.
- Students write down 5 things they would do or already do, and 2 things that they wouldn’t do.
- They discuss their ideas in pairs first, then in the group.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Video 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAGliXvZXg
Powerpoint, Pen, Whiteboard
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The class went, well and we had a lively discussion. Students told me they liked it.Germ.-adv-4.2