- Language Resident Name: Hugo Briones Cáceres
- Day and Date: Tuesday, October 2nd
- Language and Level:Spanish Conversation Advanced
- Class theme/topics discussed: Acting, telenovelas, use of pronouns
- Goal of the class:
To analyze and discuss Telenovelas as cultural resources
To act in a telenovela skit
- How did you structure the class?
- Activity 1: we watch an extract of the 1998 Mexican telenovela “La Usurpadora”. Students are asked to pay attention to the tone of the clip, the relations among the characters and the whole plot of it.
- Follow up 1: we discussed the questions and pay extra attention to relationship markers, such as the use of “Tú” vs. “Usted”.
- Follow up 2: students are asked to enact a common situation, such as “order a coffee” or “first date” with the same tone and melodrama shown in the clip.
- What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The activity worked quite well. Students were able to test their listening comprehension and also have a little peek to Latin American culture. This class would work pretty well with intermediate students too.
- How could this class be improved/ modified?
The activities and the timing worked out pretty well.