- Language Resident Name: Hugo Briones Cáceres
- Day and Date: Tuesday, November 27th
- Language and Level:Spanish Conversation Advanced
- Class theme/topics discussed: Gender violence, Argentinian accent
- Goal of the class:
To discuss gender violence in the Latin American context
To analyze the Argentinian accent.
- How did you structure the class?
- Activity 1: Students watch a PSA video against sharing personal pictures online. The video is from Argentina and the dialogues have a strong Argentinian accent.
- Follow up: A set of questions about the topic is discussed and pairs and then in the class.
- Follow up 2: A set of questions about the Argentinian accent are discussed in the class. Students pose questions and doubts in regards to the dialect.
- Activity 2: In groups, students enact a given situation using the Argentinian accent and dialect.
- What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Bringing audiovisual material always works well in class. Analyzing both, the topic and the Argentinian Spanish, worked out quite well as students could get acquainted with a less standardized Spanish. Even though the topic might be a little bit difficult or even triggering for some people, students were able to provide their insights while being responsible about it.
- How could this class be improved/ modified?
The class worked out quite well as it was. Though, it is always important to ask the class whether the topic might be triggering or make them uncomfortable.