Language Resident Name: Hugo Briones Cáceres
Day and Date: Thursday, October 5th
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Spanish Conversation Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed:
- Latin American Music
Goal of the class:
- Debate in Spanish about two popular Latinamerican songs
How did you structure the class?
- Students are introduced to their next activity, which is a debate on which contemporary Latin American song is better (Despacito and Mi Gente). They will have to come up with arguments and counter arguments during the class and have a debate on the topic. Two students will be the moderators of the debate and will help to determine the winning team.
- Students work in their arguments and counterarguments for the debate. The moderators prepare questions and will guide the whole activity.
- The students take turns to defend their songs with arguments. Then, they take a 4-minute break to come up with their counterarguments against their opponents’ song. They continue with the counterargument section of the debate.
- Finally, moderators make questions to both groups and define a winner.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- Lyrics of both songs
- Music videos
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Students really liked the idea of the debate. They enjoyed it and were passionate about defending their songs. The arguments were really strong and their Spanish was really up to the task.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
I should have included better guidelines in regards to the time they should spend defending each argument (1.30). I should have also made it clear that they could take notes and share ideas among groupmates.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
Junto a tu equipo, desarrollen argumentos e ideas que ayuden a respaldar que la canción de su grupo es mejor que la del grupo adversario. Cada integrante tendrá un papel importante en el debate. Estos papeles deben ser asignados democráticamente entre los integrantes del equipo.
Integrante 1: Introducción y argumento 1 (Presentar la canción y el primer argumento a favor)
Integrante 2: Argumento 2 y 3 (Presentar los dos siguientes argumentos a favor de la canción)
Integrante 3: Contraargumento (Presentar un argumento en contra de lo propuesto por el otro equipo)
Integrante 4: Conclusión (Presentar las ideas centrales expuestas y cerrar)
Tipos de argumentos a presentar:
Esta canción representa mejor el español porque…
Esta canción representa mejor a Latinoamérica porque…
Musicalmente, esta canción es mejor porque…
Tipos de argumentos no admitidos:
Me gusta porque…