Language Resident Name: Mykyta Tyshchenko
Day and Date: Monday, 10.02.2017
Language and Level: Russian, Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Talking about appearance
Goal of the class: learn how to describe; practice describing.
How did you structure the class?
- Greetings, general questions, announcement of the topic. – 5 min
- Brainstorming session: How to describe a person? Students get a handout for brainstorming to fill out together. Students work together in one big group. (handout 1). – 5 min
- “Describing People” Game: students and the LR think about a famous Russian/Eastern European person and its appearance. They write/think about of a short passage and then read it to the class. The class has to guess the personality. – 20 min
- “Photo-Robot” game: Students are divided in pairs, one is a detective, the other one is a witness. The detective gets a form with clues for questions, the witness – a photograph of the «criminal». Detectives ask questions and draw a photo-robot of the criminal. – 15
- Wrap-up: demonstration of the drawings. – 5 min
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The brainstorming worked well, even though the students had to use their phones to search for new vocabulary. This element of independence had shown great results: they memorized the vocab they found themselves better that the vocab presented by me. The photo-robot game was a sensation. The students talked a lot, they laughed and seemed to have a great time.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
Sometimes the students struggled to recollect a famous person, so I would suggest creating a list of people and distribute the personalities randomly.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.