Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Marina Simonnet
Day and Date: Thursday, November 9
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): INT
Class theme/topics discussed: Numbers
Goal of the class: Be more comfortable with numbers and their use in different situations in everyday life.
How did you structure the class?
- Warm-up: People have to count until 100, one by one. If a number has “6” in it (6, 16, 26, etc.), they have to say “Schtroumpf” instead.
- Bingo game with numbers using the blank table below. We will work on listening (I will dictate some numbers) and pronunciation, especially focusing on difficult numbers.
- Reading the hour: by pairs, students are given a schedule with the hours for a movie, but some hours are left blank. So they have to ask each other questions to find the missing hours and then have to choose which movie they want to watch.
- “Calcul Mental”: we can review the vocabulary of math’s symbols (+,-, /, x, =) and have a game with calculus and numbers.
- Role-play: by pair, there will be salesman and a student willing to do shopping at the grocery store. They will ask for price, and we will be focusing on the pronunciation of numbers as well as the daily expressions we use at the grocery store (“et avec ceci ?” “ce sera tout ?”). If we are not an even number, I will use the website https://www.monoprix.fr/courses-en-ligne to work with the student left alone.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Reviewing the numbers and how to read the clock was more than necessary. I cannot say that we “fixed” everything but at least, both the group of students and I are aware that we should focus on this aspect. There were a wide range of activity so it kept the students focused and interested.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
Do not hesitate to ask the students to lead a little bit the activities by telling them to give a problem during the “calculus”, to give the numbers for the Bingo game and also to call them. Before each activity, do a review if necessary (it was necessary in my case!).
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that).