Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Tatiana Ermolaeva
Day and Date: Wednesday, 09/07/2016
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Russian, Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Directions vocabulary
Goal of the class: to memorize the patterns of giving directions through the game; to make them feel like a team where every one trusts and respects each other
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up. Catch the ball. The aim of the game is to tell an embarrassing or secret fact about you when catching a ball. 10 min
- Introducing the vocabulary to give directions (направо, налево, вперед, назад)
- Trust Walk Teambuilding activity.
There’s a labyrinth on the floor made of the blue tape. The class is divided into pairs. One person doesn’t see anything; the other person has to guide him/her to come to the finish line. Then they change their roles. If they step on the tape, they have to start over again.
- Discussion of the activity:
– What was it like to be the guide?
– What do you think was the purpose of this activity?
– Did you have any difficulty trusting your partner while blindfolded? Why or why not?
– Why is it important to trust your teammates?
– How did it feel when you successfully completed the task?
– Was it hard to work as a team? Why or why not?
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Blue tape, whiteboard, a ball
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
I can tell now already that it’s one of the best lessons in this class. I had to modify it a little bit as the number of people was not even so 2 people were giving directions in turns and 1 person was following them. They changed their roles when someone moved too far and stepped on the blue tape. The game was vey exciting and challenging for them.
Advice: don’t forget about a back up activity in case the game will over faster (if the students are good at giving directions in Russian).
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
An example of the Trust Walk for activity 3: