Language Resident Name:
Day and Date:
04/25 & 04/26/2016
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Chinese, Intermediate & Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed:
Goal of the class:
By the end of this class, students will be able to:
- talk about their favorite cuisine;
- compare the Chinese and western cuisine.
How did you structure the class?
- Group discussion: a. What is your favorite dish? Why? b. Do you like Chinese food? Which dishes? c. Can you tell the differences between Chinese and western food? How about the differences between Chinese food in China and American Chinese food?
- Introduce students a documentary of Chinese cuisine: A Bite of China.
- Group activity: Students work in different groups to design a menu for their own Chinese restaurant, for example, the name of the restaurant, special dishes and beverages. Share the menus with other students.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Both the advanced class and intermediate class were successful. Food is the basic topic for everyday, so teacher don’t have to worry students have nothing to say. The group discussion and activity provided equal chance for them to practice. By the way, heir menus were very creative.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that).