Language Resident Name:
Day and Date:
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Class theme/topics discussed:
Large city VS Small city
Goal of the class:
Through this class, students will be able to talk about the characters of large cities and small cities, and have a debate about choosing to live in a large city or a small city.
How did you structure the class?
- Group discussion: work in pairs and discuss the following three questions: how to define large and small cities? Is your hometown a large or small city? What are the characters of this two kind of cities?
- Watch a video that compares the lives in large cities and small cities of China. After watching, report what differences have shown in the video.
- Introduce some Chinese TV series that reflect how young people fight for their lives and future in large cities.
- Discuss about the project.
- Warm up: recall the characters we talked about of these two cities last class.
- Watch a Video. In this video, the reporter interviewed some Chinese college students about their opinions of choosing large or small cities after graduation. Afterwards, summarize the opinions that are given in the video.
- Students are separated into two groups, one stands for large city, the other one stands for small city. They have ten minutes prepare for the debate.
- Debate time.
- Teacher comments on the debate and correct language errors.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
PowerPoint, video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73Vbn3DTho
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Class was good generally. However, they didn’t find many characters about these two different cities at first time.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
When students compare these two cities, teacher can give some suggest, for example, they can start from economy, transportation or environment. They will have a broader way to think about this question.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.