Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Rosina Desimone
Day and Date: Tuesday, April 7th // Wednesday, April 8th
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Spanish Intermediate and Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Trivial Pursuit and “Preguntados”
Goal of the class: Review cultural knowledge on Latin America and Spain
How did you structure the class?
- Reminding students of the next Cultural Activities
- Warm up: I write on the board “TRIVIAL PURSUIT” and “”PREGUNTADOS”. Students brainstorm other words related to the topic and then we had a follow up discussion, “Do you like this game? Are you familiar with other versions of this game?, What is “Preguntados”? How does it work? Where does it come from? Do you know other apps? What are their functions?”, etc.
- I divide the class into two teams. I had them cards containing questions and possible answers. By using their phones, they have to find out the appropriate answer for these questions (the teacher knows the correct answers.) After that, the teams ask each other the questions. If a team responds correctly, they get the card. The team with most cards at the end, wins!
- For the following activity, the students need to work on their phones. I ask them now to create their own trivia questions in English by browsing for information on the net. Then each team has to translate the questions into Spanish. Once the teacher has proofread the translations from both teams, the students ask the other team the questions they have created again as in the previous competition.
- Later on, the learners download the game “Preguntados” on their phones and upload their questions to the “app community”. Finally, they compete against each other in teams using their phones.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Flascards, my laptop, TV set (to show the version of the game on my computer) and the students’ own phones.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
This was a great class. The students discussed possible questions, worked on translation and even played with an app in class. They loved it!
How could this class be improved/ modified?
My intermediate class didn’t have much time to play on the app as their process of translating the questions and answers took too long for them. Time management should be modified.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.