Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Monday, April 20, 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Intermediate 011
Class theme/topics discussed:
Renting an Apartment in China
Goal of the class:
- To help students understand how to rent an apartment (step by step) in China;
- To give students some key words and expressions for renting;
- To draw students’ attention to some matters in renting an apartment.
How did you structure the class?
- Warm-up question for the students: Did you or your family rent an apartment/house in the U.S.? How was your renting experience?
- Teach the students some useful words and expressions for renting;
- Introduce in great detail how to rent an apartment in China;
- Talk about how to find a nice roommate if one has to share an apartment/a house;
- Ask the students to discuss some renting issues/scenarios they may encounter and try to figure out their solutions;
- Wrap up this topic.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The students liked to talk about their renting experience and the real issues they came across. When they described those actual issues, they used some English as it’s challenging for them to depict those scenarios in Chinese.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
- 租房：rent a house/apartment
- 房产中介：house agency
- 学生宿舍楼：residence hall
- 市中心：downtown 郊区：outskirts
- 押金：security deposit
- 公共交通：public transportation
- 水费：water bills
- 电费：electricity bills
- 煤气费：gas bills
- 洗衣费：laundry fee
- 家具：furniture 设备：facility
- 起居室/客厅：living room
- 签合同/签租约：sign a lease
- 入住通知：move-in notice