Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Intermediate 011
Class theme/topics discussed:
Chinese Spring Festival
Goal of the class:
- To help students understand the quintessential part of Chinese culture;
- To help students know the history and some stories of Chinese Spring Festival;
- To practice students’ speaking skills from the cultural perspective (in simple Chinese).
How did you structure the class?
- Introduce a new topic today—Chinese Spring Festival by brainstorming (The students say something about it as much as they can.);
- Ask the students to learn the story and history of Chinese Spring Festival by group facilitation;
- Ask them to talk about how people celebrate Spring Festival in China;
- Learn some words and expressions about Spring Festival celebration;
- Learn the culture by watching some videos:
- Learn how to sing the Chinese New Year song “gong xi gong xi”:
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Handouts and videos.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The discussion and video part worked well in this class, since the students are passionate about Chinese culture and they are interested in the funny stories of Chinese Spring Festival. Some of them will study in China next semester.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.