Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Advanced 013
Class theme/topics discussed:
Goal of the class:
- To help students learn some Chinese terms and expressions about juvenile delinquency;
- To make students aware of the effects of juvenile delinquency on family and society;
- To develop students’ understanding of the motive and prevention of juvenile delinquency.
How did you structure the class?
- Warm-up: introduce this topic by referring to campus shootings in the U.S.:
- Ask the students to think about the following questions: what is juvenile delinquency? Which age group does this refer to? What does juvenile delinquency include? Examples?
- Teach the students some Chinese terms and expressions about juvenile delinquency, and try to ask them to rephrase those words/expressions in simple Chinese;
- Guide the students to analyze the causes and effects of juvenile delinquency:
- Discuss how to prevent juvenile delinquency from various social dimensions (juvenile delinquent, victim, family, community, and society);
- Wind up this topic.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The in-depth analysis and discussion of juvenile delinquency went on well in this class, since the students found they’re confident and fluent in talking about complicated social issues in Chinese. They made great progress in my conversation class this semester.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
- 青少年：teenager 犯罪（fan4 zui4）：crime
- 青少年犯罪：juvenile delinquency 犯罪率（lv4）
- 心智不成熟：emotionally and intellectually immature
- 暴力：violence 家庭暴力
- 叛逆（pan4 ni4）：rebellious
- 拜金主义（bai4 jin1）：money worship
- 虐待儿童：child abuse
- 误入歧途（wu4 ru4 qi2 tu2）: go astray
- 坐牢（lao2）：be in jail