Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Thursday, April 23, 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Advanced 013
Class theme/topics discussed:
Environmental Pollution and Protection
Goal of the class:
- To help students learn some Chinese terms about environmental pollution and protection;
- To make students aware of key environmental issues in the world;
- To guide students on how an individual makes a difference in protecting the environment.
How did you structure the class?
- Ask the students to brainstorm anything related to environment;
- Introduce some Chinese terms about environmental pollution and protection, and ask them to guess the meanings or paraphrase those terms in simple Chinese;
- Serve as a facilitator and divide them into several groups. Give 10 minutes to them for group discussion about key environmental issues in the world;
- Invite them to report to the whole class;
- Give them an in-depth analysis on the causes and consequences of environmental pollution, and provide a few feasible suggestions on how to protect the environment as a student:
- Wind up this topic.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The students liked to talk about environmental issues, since global issues of this kind can get the students more involved in discussion. They really wanted to do as much as they can to protect the environment. The discussion and in-class analysis worked very well in this class.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
- 环境污染（wu1 ran3）—环境保护
- 空气（kong1 qi4）污染
- 自然灾害：natural disaster（飓风、洪水、台风、暴风雨）
- 温室效应：greenhouse effect
- 世界环境日：World Environment Day（6月5日）
- 水土流失：water and soil erosion
- 有毒废物：toxic waste
- 植树造林：afforestation 滥砍滥伐（lan4 kan3 lan4 fa2）：deforestation
- 污水处理：sewage disposal
- 灾难（zai1 nan4）: disaster