Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Advanced 013
Class theme/topics discussed:
Educational Differences between China and the U.S.
Goal of the class:
- To help students learn about Chinese educational systems at all levels;
- To help students analyze educational differences between these two countries;
- To help students develop critical understanding of their own strengths in education.
How did you structure the class?
- Ask the students to discuss about the American educational systems, including the subjects they take in elementary school, middle school, high school, and college/university;
- Introduce some new & advanced words/expressions about education for their group discussion;
- Distribute the handouts and ask them to analyze educational differences between these two countries from a wide range of perspectives;
- Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Chinese & American educational systems;
- Wrap up.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The students are keen on educational differences between these two countries, and they want to take the positive sides of these two educational systems for their future self-development. So the discussion went on very well in the class.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.