Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Charlotte Eisenblaetter
Day and Date: Thursday, 1 October 2015
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): German advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Movie “Soul Kitchen”
Goal of the class: To practice fluency and listening comprehension
How did you structure the class?
- Activity: I showed them the first 6 minutes of the movie “Soul Kitchen” without sound. The students exchanged seats: one facing the screen and describing, one turning backwards to the screen and listening to the other student. Every minute they exchanged seats. (10 min)
- I watched the first 6 minutes again without sound, this time both students could see the screen. After that, I asked them to tell me what characters they remembered from the scenes and how they might be related. (10 min)
- We watched the 6 minutes again with sound and they had a bingo chart with words from the scenes. They should listen for these words and try to find a row of four words. We watched part of the scenes twice because they had to listen again before they recognized enough words. (15 min)
- We analyzed a scene of 2 minutes (both sound and pictures) and I stopped the scene repeatedly, asking the students to explain what had been said/ seen. We watched the scene 3 times. (15 min)
- We talked about the class project again and found a better topic, deciding on a cook book. We plan to go through the cook books in German lounge together next week.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Movie from Youtube (“Soul Kitchen”, Fatih Akin, Adam Bousdoukos, 2009). Handout with bingo grit.
Link to movie:
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The describing part (Activity 1) was really fun and they enjoyed it. They had to talk fast and think less about vocabulary. It would have been useful to have a script for the movie since it was hard to understand the dialogues for them. However, the most important part was not understanding the content, but producing and recognizing speech.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
Skip the second showing of the first 6 minutes without sound; it took too much time. Have a dialogue from the movie printed out and let students act it out themselves. Then watch the scene.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.