Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: ISAAC GIMENEZ
Day and Date: 11/19/2014
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Intermediate
Class theme/topics discussed: Uses of the subjunctive mood 2
Goal of the class: To integrate the use of subjunctive when talking about desires, advices and indirect speech.
How did you structure the class?
- Heads-up: Upcoming study break.
- Warm-up: The Chairs Game using the Subjuntive. One student say a sentence like “the students who have gone to Paris stand up and switch seats.” Then the next one in the middle make up another sentence and the rest obey, so different students stand up in the middle. E.i: Los estudiantes que hayan ido a París, que se levanten y se cambien de sitio.
- The milkmaid and her pail. Introducing the classic tale, I start the round by saying something like “when I’d have money, I will travel to Brazil.” The next one will continue the story saying something like “when I’d be in Brazil I will eat tapiocas” and so on. We do several rounds. We practice the subjunctive form and the simple future. E.i: Cuando tenga dinero, viajaré a Brasil.
- A bad day for the fortuneteller. Students work in pairs. One of them is the fortuneteller and the other one is the skeptical client. The fortuneteller will tell predictions using the future and the client will contradict them using the subjunctive form. E.i: Tendrás muchos hijos. (Future tense) – No creo que tenga muchos hijos porque no me gustan los niños. (Subjunctive form)
- Men vs. Women. I Split the class in men are women. They discuss about things they find annoying, irritating of the opposite sex using the subjunctive form. E.i: Me molesta que los chicos no usen desodorante. Me irrita que las chicas se echen demasiado perfume.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.) Board
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
It was maybe quite repetitive but students revised the conjugation of verbs in the subjunctive form and fixed some structures. I had to participate in a couple of activities to lead the story/discussion and make it more dynamic.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
I had to work with half of the students. I guess the activities could have been more dynamic and engaging if all the students would have attended.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.