Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Monday, September 8, 2014
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Intermediate 011
Class theme/topics discussed: Mid-autumn Day (Moon Festival)
Goal of the class:
- Get the students to know an important traditional festival in China—Moon Festival;
- Enhance the students’ interest in Chinese culture.
How did you structure the class?
- Introduce the topic—history, customs, and stories (15 mins);
- Show some moon pictures taken in different parts of China to celebrate Moon Festival;
- Tell the students how to celebrate this festival in China via some videos:
- Get the students to have a group discussion about how people celebrate family reunion in their home countries, and invite them to have a taste of Chinese moon cakes.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Videos, pictures, powerpoint, handout for new words about the theme
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Introduction to this festival and group discussion worked very well, because they are quite interested in Chinese culture and celebration of this festival. They really appreciated eating moon cakes.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
No. Everything was fine and they had great fun.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
- 中秋节：Mid-autumn Festival
- 农历：lunar calendar
- 阳历：solar calendar
- 唐朝：Tang Dynasty
- 赏月：admire/enjoy the full moon
- 吃月饼：eat moon cakes