Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Thursday, September 11, 2014
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Advanced 013
Class theme/topics discussed: Shopping in China & Tips on how to bargain in China
Goal of the class:
- The students will understand basic words and expressions about shopping in China;
- The students will learn how to bargain in China.
How did you structure the class?
- Help the students recall what they have known about shopping in Chinese (brainstorming);
- Introduce some new words and expressions about shopping in China, and ask them to discuss merits and demerits of shopping in different places;
- Give the students some tips on how to bargain in China via two videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWE6BSTwzs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SweEy1ZiKuM
- Divide them into several groups (pair work): give them a list of items that they need sell and purchase. In a group, one student acts as a salesperson, and the other as a customer. Use the useful expressions learned in this class to act out the role play.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Videos, handouts, powerpoint, pictures
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Brainstorming and role play worked very well, because almost all of them have been to China, and they are really interested in shopping there. Besides, they loved the funny videos and the role play in class, since they could easily put those useful expressions into daily practice.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.
- 运动鞋：sports shoes/sneaker
- 高跟鞋：high-heeled shoes
- 贵：expensive 便宜：cheap
- 试穿：try on
- 信用卡：credit card 现金：cash
- 试衣间：fitting room
- 你需要什么？What can I do for you?
- 我想买…: I want to buy …
- 让我看看…: Let me have a look at …
- 我只是随便看看：I am just looking.
- 我能试穿一下吗？Can I try it on?
- 你穿这个很漂亮：It looks nice on you.
- 这个多少钱？How much does it cost?
- 能便宜点吗？Could you please make it cheaper? 打折吗？Any discount?
- 收银台在哪里？Where is the cashier?
- 我用现金支付：I will pay in cash.
- 我用信用卡支付：I will pay by credit card.
- 商店里的售货员告诉你想要的东西已经“sold out”，请问是什么意思？
- 你看到一家店提供的所有衣服都写上了“30% discount”，请问是什么意思？
- 如果你需要退换一件商品，售货员问你希望得到的是“a refund or an exchange”，请问是什么意思？