Language Resident Name: Zehuang Cao (Johnson)
Day and Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Chinese Advanced 013
Class theme/topics discussed: Chinese food and dining culture
Goal of the class:
- Students will know eight distinguished regional cuisines in China and their unique features;
- Students will understand Chinese dining culture;
- Students will know how to make a simple Chinese dish and explain its procedures in Chinese.
How did you structure the class?
- Ask the students to brainstorm anything about Chinese food and dining culture;
- Introduce eight distinguished regional cuisines in China and analyze their unique features;
- Discuss Chinese dining etiquette with the students after watching a video clip; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkyE2rPac3
- Learn how to make Chinese dumplings via two videos; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_jSnVGHcA0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy2ZaEOAOBs
- Ask the students in pairs to explain the making process in simple Chinese.
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Videos, powerpoint, pictures
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The students were crazy about Chinese food and they really enjoyed talking about it. They thought it’s very useful to know Chinese dining culture and they have already known what to do at Chinese table. Everything went smoothly in this class.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
No. (I will invite my students to make Chinese dumplings in my apartment next time.)
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.