Language and Section: Russian – PO Russ 13.1
Date: 2 February 2012
Class theme/topics discussed: Education
Goal of the class:
To practice speaking skills; to exchange opinions on the topic; to learn new vocabulary connected with education systems in the USA and Russia
Structure of the class (unless you attach your lesson plan below):
1) Discussion of the USA education system: students agree who explains which part of the system and talk about it in front of the class, using the whiteboard if needed;
2) Discussion of the Russian education system: first students explain what they already know, then I explain the rest if they have questions;
3) Follow up discussion: comparing the US and Russian systems – what is better/worse in Russia then in the USA and vice versa;
4) Where did you apply apart from Claremont Colleges? Where were you admitted? Why did you choose Claremont?
5) What is the procedure for college application? What is a personal statement? What do people write there? What did you write and you applied?
What technology, media or props did you use? (satellite tv, internet resources, playmobiles, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Everything worked very well. Students spoke a lot. I usually use video in almost every class, but here we have a lot to speak about and didn’t really need any specific tasks/activities, though I would probably use something if I do this class again.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
I would add some more specific activity to this lesson plan. Probably it’s a good idea to divide students into two groups (Russian and American) and ask them to argue why their system is better then the others’ one.
Please attach your lesson plan and handouts for this class below – if you used any.