Language and Section: Chinese/ Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Finding your soul mate
Goal of the class:
1) Practicing negotiation of meaning.
2) Constructing complex questions to find out specific information.
3) Exchanging as much information as possible in a short period of time.
4) Practicing agreement and disagreement structures to come up with solutions to specific problems.
Structure of the class:
Activity 1: 15 minutes
This activity is based on ranking through discussion. Students are given lists of different characteristics that they could find in partners. They have to rank them according to what they consider to be more or less important in a relationship.
Activity 2: 5 minutes
Individually, they have to come up with three meaningful questions that they would like to ask to potential partners.
Activity 3: 20 minutes
Speed-Dating: Students are divided into two groups, they have to sit in circles looking at each other. Each couple has a minute and a half to ask each other the questions they thought of in activity two and talk about any other information they want to find out.
Activity 4: 20 minutes
The students will work in groups of three or four. Each group is given a specific situation that describes a problem regarding relationships. They will have to come up with the best solution to each issue. For example: long distance, cheating, break-ups and misunderstandings with the family.
What technology, media or props did you use?
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
• This class works very well. Students are highly motivated to speak. They speak a lot and the class participation is high.
• Students finish the rehearsing for the role-play and we run out of time. So we will finish the role-play next class.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
• No. Students like the dating topic so much.
Please attach your lesson plan and handouts for this class below – if you used any.