Language and Section: Chinese/ Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: My father is Li Gang
Goal of the class:
• To understand current social issue in China
• To learn how to express opinions on a current and complicated social issue
• To learn to debate in Chinese, make statements, to support them and to refute others’ statements
Structure of the class:
• The teacher introduces the topic to the student, and shows two videos to the students. the teacher pauses at intervals to answer students’ questions about the news report
• Students have questions to discuss with each other, mainly about what is happening in the video. The purpose is to make sure that students have a thorough understanding of the content.
• Students have a debate. One group is proposition side and the other side is opposition side. Each student has to refute the argument from the opposition team and then make his/her own argument.
What technology, media or props did you use?
• Handout , video
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
• Students are interested in the topic. The issue is a hot topic in China and the sentence My father is Li Gang is very popular in China now. It is important to let students know what is happening in China now. From the social issue, they have a deeper understanding of today’s China.
• The video is a bit hard for advanced students.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
• The teaching material is a little bit hard. It is best if i can find a video which matches their level.
Please attach your lesson plan and handouts for this class below – if you used any.