Class theme/topics discussed:
Food vocabulary: idioms.
How did you pick this theme or topic? As a follow-up activity for the unit on food and cooking covered in Mason.
How did you present the material? (handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
Handouts, general discussion.
How did students react?
It might be challenging for them, but they still enjoyed the activity.
Did they engage with each other and you?
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
Please attach a copy.
Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms
Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms Illustr #1
Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms Illustr #2
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
Why or why not?
It advances students’ vocabulary proficiency within a familiar topic.
April 19, 2011
1. Warm-up: write a saying on the board and ask students to read and interpret it (what does it mean? When do we say so?). They can use dictionaries if they need.
Кашу маслом не испортишь.
2. Handout Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms
– read out the idioms, ask students to repeat after you. Don’t translate or explain anything at this point;
– students match idioms with illustrations Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms Illustr #1 and Lesson 25_April 19_Food Idioms Illustr #2.
Task: to figure out which idioms don’t have a coressponding picture + guess the meaning;
– discussion – what each expression means. Everyone makes a guess, then give the right answer;
– students create a short (7-10) sentences dialogue/ script to illustrate the meaning and usage of at least three expressions form the list. Then share with the group.