How did you pick this theme or topic?
Sports are interesting and universal, also it can be useful for them to know more vocabulary about it.
How did you present the material? (Handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
How did students react?
Very well. They liked the topic, I think, and they liked playing pétanque on the quad. It was real fun and they learned about French culture.
Did they engage with each other and you?
Yes, they were talkative and engaged with each other and me.
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
Videos on youtube
Game pétanque in the French apartment
Please attach a copy.
Below is the plan I had with me in class
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
1. Sports – 25 min
– Quelqu’un connait le symbole de la France? (le coq) symbole des US ?
– Le sport le + populaire ? football, tennis, équitation (licenciés)
– L’hymne ? Coupe du monde 98?
– They have to list all the sports they know (white board)
– I erase it
– Then I give them the sheet with the drawings (they work in pairs or groups of 3) and they have to write down the names of the sports – 5 min
– Then I give them the list of words and they have to try and match images and words – 5 min
– Then they give their sheet to the group next to them and we correct – 5 min
⇒ Pétanque (8e sport avec 360 000 joueurs recensés)
⇒ Explain the rules
⇒ Go outside and play!