Language and Section: SPA 11.2
Class theme/topics discussed: Youth Culture
Goal of the class: To introduce the topic of youth culture in Uruguay and slang vocabulary.
Structure of the class (unless you attach your lesson plan below):
– Warm-up: Discussion on news regarding immigration
– Students watched and commented on the final, edited project.
– Students were given strips of paper with typical Uruguayan slang expressions and had to try to deduce their meaning:
- Estar pasado
- Descansar a alguien
- Irse al carajo
- Pegar en el palo
- Estar podrido
- Romper las Pelotas
- Levantar un centro
- Chupa un huevo
- Estar salado
- Turra / Trola
- Yegua / yeguo
- Un pedo azul / Estar en pedo
- Una joda
- Cagarse de risa
– The entire class discussed the slang terms and the context in which they can be used
What technology, media or props did you use? (satellite tv, internet resources, playmobiles, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The students enjoyed watching the project as it also had what the Advanced class made. They were very engaged and interested in the slang expressions.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
The strips with slang should have been in a dialogue format so that the context would provide a better hint as to the meaning of the terms.