Class theme/topics discussed:
+ discussing the project
How did you pick this theme or topic?
The goal was to carry out activities encouraging spontaneous speech.
How did you present the material? (handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
Video, handouts, online quiz, general discussion.
How did students react?
There was only one student in class – she enjoyed it, especially the quiz activity.
Did they engage with each other and you?
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
Handouts, laptop, TV-screen, Internet.
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
Why or why not?
It’s very efficient for spontaneous, unplanned language use.
February 11, 2010
1. Game: “On the spot” – a student should answer as many questions as possible in one minute (a sand clock or a timer needed)
for questions see handout Lesson 8_Feb 11_Game
2. Acting out simple conversations:
1 Two strangers are walking down the street they see each other and realize that they use to go to the same high school together.
2 A mother and father have just received a letter from their son saying that he is going to get married.
3 A person is driving his/her car and all of a sudden he/she hits another person.
4 Two people are all alone on a boat in the middle of an ocean and there is no more food.
5 A boyfriend wants to leave his girlfriend but she doesn’t want him to leave.
3. Watching the video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDEbvnTE8E
And filling out the blanks (see handout Lesson 8_Feb 11_Video)
4. Reading out the text + “voicing” the video with the sound muted.
5. Personality Quiz at http://testoteka.ukr.net/personality/test/44/
Students read out questions and answers, reply and comment.