– general discussion about music and instruments
– “Fill the blanks”
– Imagine the tv advertisement
How did you pick this theme or topic?
I think music is a fun way to tackle a foreign language because it is something universal, so even if they had never heard the song, there were many chances that they liked music and thus found this class interesting. Music is also a nice way to learn about a country’s culture. And since I wasn’t really sure about their level, I chose an easy song to test their level.
How did you present the material? (Handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
Handouts – lyrics of the song with blanks to be filled by the students
How did students react?
Well, but they didn’t have any vocabulary about the instruments so we couldn’t play the game I ahd planned (making them draw and guess the name of the instrument)
About the song, they didn’t know it. They understood most of the lyrics, though.
They were not creative for the last activity and didn’t have many ideas about the commercial.
Did they engage with each other and you?
So-so. They liked the song I think, but were not creative about the tv ad and didn’t have much to say.
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
Computer (youtube), handout, white board.
Please attach a copy.
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
Yes, I think they liked it but I think it’s more effective and fun with more advanced and talkative students.
1) warm up
2) Introduction of the topic:
– Do you know some French singers? Groups?…
– Do you know French music?
– French singers, bands?
– Name for instruments in French?
→ each students comes and draws an instrument on the board
3) Introduction of the song and the band
– Pink Martini
4) Song without the text and without the video
– I give them the lyrics: Explanation of the words they don’t understand.
– They listen to the song again and have to fill the blanks
– Correction and explanation.
– Try to imagine which kind of tv ad could fit with this music
9) Show the tv ad
10) Discuter de la pub
– Qu’est-ce qui se passe ?
– Est-ce que la chanson correspond ?