Cookbook project in the FLRC
How did you pick this theme or topic?
The students wanted to do a project on cooking, so before cooking and doing a cookbook, we had to find recipes first in English so we could translate them later.
How did you present the material? (Handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
They all worked on computers
How did students react?
They reacted well, I think that they enjoyed working on computers and being able to come up with the recipes they had chosen. We didn’t have time to choose which recipes we would do in class, but we managed to agree on the cookbook so we have now two recipes for each course.
Did they engage with each other and you?
They engaged with the others and me when they had to explain why they wanted to do this recipe and had to convince the others to vote for their recipes.
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
FLRC (very) Smart board
Please attach a copy.
Below is the lesson plan
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
Why or why not?
1. Personal selection
– Each student needs to select 3 french dishes (1 entrée, 1 plat principal, 1 dessert)
– They need to find a photo of the dish
– They have to create a page with the recipes and photos with Pages
– They need to write the names of the dishes they chose on the board
– They need to say why they want to do them
– They need to agree on two dishes dishes in each category (entrée, plat principal, dessert)
– If we have time, they need to agree on the two recipes (one entrée, one dessert) that we’ll do in class, fulfilling those conditions:
– Not too hard, not too long, not too expensive (25$ max for the two dishes)