Conversation Class Lesson Summary
Language Resident Name: Ruirui Zhang
Day and Date: Tuesday,18thFebruary,2020
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class): Advanced
Class theme/topics discussed: Dating
Goal of the class:
- To talk about the advantages and disadvantages of being single and falling in love.
- To talk about important factors which people will take into consideration when they try to find their soulmate.
- To improve the oral level by imitating “speed dating”.
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up: The teacher will start the lesson by discussing what are advantages and disadvantages of being single and falling in love. Then, write students’ points of view on whiteboard.
- Provide input: Ask students factors which people will take into consideration when they look for soulmate. Then show students general or common factors which people think important in China. There are related vocabulary on presentation
- Activity 1: Imitating “speed dating”(Handouts are provided for this activity): There are some basic questions such as job, education experience, interests and hobby, personality etc. included on handout. First, students need to list at least three important questions which will be put forward during dating. Second, students are divided into 4 boy-girl pairs randomly. Then they will ask each other questions and imitate “speed dating” scenario.
Follow-up: ask students how it is going with dating with someone. Is the dating successful or unsuccessful? Why?
Activity 2:Talk about the following common questions asked during the dating:
Activity 3: Watch Chinese TV show FeiCheng WuRao, which is a popular speed dating TV show. Talk about what are similarities and difference between China’s and American dating TV show.(This activity is for advanced conversation class.)
- Close lesson
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
- Handout & Presentation
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
Students were very engaged in this topic. They talked a lot during the “dating”. This activity gave students chance to get to know each other with various and comprehensive questions.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.