Language Resident Name:
Day and Date:
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Class theme/topics discussed:
How did you structure the class?
Activity 1 (): Heads-up. Reminding the upcoming events.
Activity 1 (15min): Scattergories: There are different fields: food, animals, clothes, professions, parts of the human body… I say one letter and the students have 1 to 1:30 minutes to think a word for each field that starts with that letter. Afterwards, we check the words and those we are repeated don’t give points. The student with more points at the end wins.
Activity 2 (15min): Connecting pairs. Students are put in pairs or groups. Then, each group receives a pair of words and they have to write as many connections as possible in one minute. Then, the groups switch the pair of objects. When all the groups have gone through all the words, we count how many connections have been found and the group with the highest number shares loudly their result. Pairs:
- elephant, nail varnish
- wedding, ant
- snowflake, coin
- religious fanatics, matchbox
- number 25, criminal
- a (named) singer and a ladybird
- silkworm, axe
- love, rubbish dump
- pen, new-born baby
- Garden of Eden, bar of soap
Activity 3 (15min): Combining elements into a story. In the same groups, students have to create a story which contains all the given items. Then we share the story loudly.
- paper, afraid, foot, slow, seventy-five, quickly
- lion, telephone, happily, green, dance, milk
- the President, river, key, apple, smile, angrily, how are you?
- actor, grandfather, eye, snake, move, go away, hard
- electric, ski, oily, dramatically, Robin Hood, hippopotamus
- squeeze, crocodile, explosion, vegetarian, pure, violin
- shoot, ventriloquist, potato, guilty, slippery, anxious
- jungle, telephone, bride, renew, microbe, religiously
- egg-shaped, model, atmosphere, lawfully, caricature, congratulate
- fossil, suburb, incoherent, whip, obstruction, polygamous
Activity 4 (15min): Odd man out. As in apples to apples, students but one must argue with of the words of the group does not belong in it. Then, the student who didn’t argue must choose their favorite.
- apple, orange, mango, banana, grape, peach
- India, China, France, Uganda, USA, New Guinea
- finger, blood, heart, eye, muscle, tongue
- sock, coat, dress, underpants, scarf, jeans,
- Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Goldilocks, Cinderella
- tree, bush, flower, weed, plant, grass
- trumpet, drums, violin, flute, harp, piano
- river, waterfall, lake, sea, marsh, puddle
- quiet, angry, graceful, shy, modest, quick
- peace, joy, harmony, beauty, delicacy, grace
- horse, cat, mouse, camel, lion, cow
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
How could this class be improved/ modified?
Scattergories always works, they like it a lot. The rest of the games are good too, specially if you have very imaginative students.
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that). Please attach any handouts as well.