Language Resident Name:
Day and Date:
Language and Level (intermediate or advanced class):
Class theme/topics discussed:
Goal of the class:
By the end of this class, students will be able to make a brief introduction of the education system in the US, and learn about the system in China.
How did you structure the class?
- Warm up: Ask students how to say the different stages of education in Chinese, such as primary school, high school.
- Ask students to share their most unforgettable experience of school life.
- Group work: Students are divided into three groups and represent primary school, middle school, and high school respectively. Each group needs to make a brief introduction of the school they represent, such as school time, courses.
- Presentation time. Meanwhile, the teacher provides some information about the Chinese education system.
- Group discussion about College Entrance Examination: a. Chinese people often say that this exam determines your whole life; do you agree with it? b. Do you think exam is a fair way to decide who gets the permission of college? c. Did all your friends go to college? If some didn’t, why? What are they doing now? d. Do you think everyone should go to college?
- Play a part of a BBC documentary referring to Chinese teaching method.
- Discuss about the final question in groups: Will you send your children to a school in China? Why or why not?
What technology, media or props did you use? (internet resources, playmobiles, handouts, etc.)
Powerpoint, BBC documentary : http://mp.weixin.qq.com/sbiz=MjM5MzY1NjQzNw==&mid=208935944&idx=1&sn=f3cc7ed3d95c4f5b051023467edba857&scene=4.
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
This class is a revised version from advanced class and it turned to be very successful. The questions for presentation were easier than that of advanced, so intermediate students could discuss.
How could this class be improved/ modified?
If you have a more detailed lesson plan, please attach it below (OK to use target language for that).