Class theme/topics discussed: News
Goal of the class: talk about current events, news and their importance, understand and compare different kinds of news broadcasters
Structure of the class (unless you attach your lesson plan below):
– I asked whether students watched or read news
– We summarized the big topics in current international and national affairs
– I asked students what kind of news they watched
– What kind of shows did they know
– I also asked why they preferred a certain show over another.
– We watched the beginning of that day’s German news
– Students were asked to describe the news with regard to tone, design, presenter, gestures, facial expression etc
– I asked them what news for children should be like: we gathered ideas
– I showed them Children’s News and we analyzed their presentation and the topics and compared it to the previously seen “normal” news broadcast
What technology, media or props did you use? (satellite tv, internet resources, playmobiles, etc.)
White board, TV, computer
What worked well in this class? What did not work?
The question of what news students watched and liked sparked a tiny discussion among them which I had not expected since the class is not very “independent” when it comes to talking and usually needs a lot of guidance. That was a good moment.
How could this class be improved/ modified?