yClass theme/topics discussed:
Analyzing a poem by I. Brodskiy
How did you pick this theme or topic?
How did you present the material? (handouts, group work, general discussion, student presentations, etc.)
Handouts, direct questioning, general discussion.
How did students react?
The task was challenging for them, but it didn’t make the class inefficient.
Did they engage with each other and you?
What materials or media did you use? (articles, satellite tv, digital projector, etc.)
Handouts, laptop, Internet.
Please attach a copy.
– Brodskiy #1 – the text of the poem with blanks Lesson 28_April 29_Brodskiy _1;
– Brodskiy #2 – the full text of the poem with accents, vocabulary footnotes, and questions Lesson 28_April 29_Brodsky _2;
– Brodskiy Teacher’s – more notes about using the material in class + additional questions Lesson 28_April 29_Brodsky TeachersNotes.
Would you recommend this activity for a future class?
Why or why not?
It’s a cultural experience;
it requires the use of specific language;
it is a way to teach students to understand not only simple messages, but to analyze deep meanings and metaphors.
April 29, 2010
– Слышали ли вы имя Иосифа Бродского? Что вы о нем знаете?
Students tell what they already know, then the teacher introduces some basic facts about the poet.
2. Listening to the recital (в исполнении В. Маслакова, например)
And filling in the blanks in the handout Brodskiy #1.
3. Students get the handout Brodskiy #2 with the full text and correct themselves. They look through the text and new words.
4. Reading loud the poem, paying attention to the new words. Translation into English if needed. + answering “additional questions” from the teacher’s copy (Brodskiy Teacher’s).
5. Answering the questions from the handout. Discussing the impression students have.